Friday 5 June 2015

Not all Magpies are Bad

Now EVERYONE knows the North is THE best place in the world for the British classic fish and chips. Haddock if you're wondering. 

And one of the best places is the little seaside down of Whitby. Home to Goth lovers and Dracula- Who knew the Count was a fried food fanatic?!

Nestled on Pier Road is ' the Magpie' an old family run fish and chip shop from the thirties which is renowned for being the best in the area so I took  the southerner to gods own country and headed for a day trip to Whitters. Martin Parr would have had a bloody field day. 


That's right- did I mention me and Kate Andrews got a first at Uni siting Parr as our biggest influence? And that was in the eighties before all you whipper-snappers jumped on the 'thisisengland' bandwagon.

Anyway onto the food, we hit the Magpie and only had to queue about 15 minutes. A queue in the north? Now this is bloody unheard of, We're not at burger and Lobster in Leicester Square now you know. Must be good. 

I ordered the anchovies to start, oh haven't things got fancy, they were beaut and I'd wolfed em down before the southerner had even looked up from his menu, that and my carafe of rose. Anchovies and carafes?! What's happening to the north we'll probs get sushi soon and then you've got nowt over us.


I followed with a small haddock for £9.99. A SMALL


An obvious order of picked onions, 3 for the price of one in my victoria park local. 


I didn't touch these. Vom. 



Then we wandered up to the castle and took in the views. Didn't pay the entry fee of £6, I could see it perfectly well from the outside. Who needs a holiday when England looks this good. 




#nofilter and all that. I know I'm starting to sound like Jon Snow but I bloody love the North. 

P.s I followed this with oxtail in a giant Yorkshire pudding with red onion gravy about 3hours later. OBVS. 



No comments:

Post a Comment