Sunday 10 May 2015

A Reluctant Veggie Side

I'm off to NYC in a week and intend to Man vs Food my way around Brooklyn. That in combination with my fella telling me I eat too much meat?! WTF? Has meant I've gone #meatfree for a couple of weeks. Obvs I don't mean fish- give me a friggin break people. 

I always thought this would be eaaassssyyyyy, I don't eat that much meat, I prefer fish, I'm happy to eat veggie. Lies, lies, lies. I miss sausages more than most dead relatives. Jokes! 
So far I've thrown 2 full tantrums and had 5 meat dreams. 

Anyway it's meant I've had to be a little more inventive at meal time so I dusted out my 'Morning Glory' Vietnamese cookbook. Best restaurant in the whole of Hoi An btw.  I decided to go for the chargrilled egg plant with spring onion oil and fried garlic. 

First of all make the sping onion oil- finely dice 3 spring onions and 1 large clove of garlic, keep the white and green of the spring onion separate. Fry off the garlic and white onion with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil. When that's cooked through add in the green part of the onion for a minute. 


Add in a sprinkling of sesame seeds 




Fry off some seperate garlic, a clove or 2 until crispy- place on kitchen towel to drain excess oil. 

In a seperate bowl mix together some soy, sugar and fish sauce




Then oven cook the eggplant/aubergine for 10 minutes or until the skin comes off easily. Remove all skin. 

Chop up and place in a serving bowl, add the spring onion oil, fried onions and finally soy sauce. Garnish with coriander.


There you go a beaut Vietnamese side. No animals were harmed in the making of this. Oh shit, what about the fish sauce? Just googling now. 













No comments:

Post a Comment