Thursday 17 May 2012

Andrews does Shakshuka

Inspired by the Shakshuka I had for brunch at Nopi (true blog fans will remember it well - amazing toilets?!) I decided to make my own but for tea instead.




Shakshuka is a Turkish dish of baked eggs (so yeah, apparently they don't just make kebabs? Who knew?!). Can't say I tried it the time I visited Bodrum mind. Back then I was more of a McChicken sandwich kinda gal.
Fry off 2/3 onion with garlic and 1/2 a red pepper til soft. Add paprika, cumin, chilli and salt and pepper then a jar of chopped tomatoes (couple of fresh cherry toms for poshness) and tomato purée. Leave, stirring occasionally til it thickens.
Now at Nopi they used smoked labneh cheese but the local Budgens doesn't sell that (FFS - it's a f'ing staple surely????) so I improvised with feta. A couple of recipes online called for feta anyway so i didn't get my knickers in a twist about it.
Anyway add a few chunks of feta then make a couple of wells in the sauce and crack in a couple of eggs. Stick under the grill for a few mins til your egg's done and voila!
Meal for one. Yes that's correct it may look like a meal for two but I ate the whole thing myself.




There you have it, a carb free, tasty Turkish tea without a donner in sight.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment