Sunday 12 April 2015

Big Dipping

Home-made Dips - an easy way to make guests think you're a better cook than you actually are. 

Now I'm no chef, although I did almost appear on masterchef, but that was less to do with my actual cooking skills and more to do with the fact I gave Greg Wallace my number. Oh coooome on! We've all been single once.

The sun was out so in true Brit style so was the BBQ. After a Saturday night with no booze and a 5k run along the canal (for this read 3k along the main road) I was feeling pretty fresh and decided to up my BBQ game and make homemade guacamole and salsa as my super chef mate Marco was coming over and he'd taught me how

The salsa 

I am OBSESSED with tomatoes. My number 2 favourite food, second to cheese obvs. This salsa is way better than shop bought and leftovers can be used for packed lunches - perfecto

Chop up tomatoes- a mixture of large and cherry, A full red onion, couple of cloves of garlic and a green chilli - leave the seeds in for extra kick. 


Put all the ingredients in a bowl, add a glug of olive oil, lots of salt and some red wine vinegar. Squeeze in lemon juice to taste 
Friend or foe- this puppy adds extra flavour so chop up a handful of coriander and mix in. Et viola- BEAUT And yes that is a manicured nail - thanks Timex for the Cheeky mani!

The Guacamole 

As per our previous post- us northerners are getting all sophis and loving our fancy avos. Times have changed from when I first moved down here and I rang my mum telling her that everyone was 'well posh because the were eating au-ber-jean sandwiches' Well just look at us now, we'll be eating bee pollen for breakfast soon 

Anyway for the guac 

Cut up the avocado into squares and put in a bowl. 
Dice up the onion, chilli and coriander and mix in a bowl with olive oil, lime juice and salt.. I chucked in a couple of cherry tomatoes too. Obviously. 

Mix all together and you have the perfect guacamole. Top tip is leave the stone in and it stops the avocado browning. 

Buy yourself some cheap nachos - put in trendy vintage enamel and no one will know youre freelance and haven't be paid in months- yea you know who you are, put the INVOICE through! 


Display on your ercol (read ikea) coffee table for your guests arrival. Hide the Lidl carrier bags and tell them you bought it all from your local farmers market.  Smug Face. 










No comments:

Post a Comment